Pedaling for Parkinson's is a cycling program that aims to improve the lives of those living with Parkinson's disease and their caregivers.
The YMCA of the North offers this program because regular exercise is one of the key components in treating the many symptoms of Parkinson's disease, and it has been proven that pedaling a bicycle may change the life of someone with Parkinson's disease. Research conducted at the Cleveland Clinic showed a 35 percent reduction in symptoms by the simple act of pedaling a bicycle at a rapid pace, optimally 80-90 revolutions per minute. Fast pedaling is not a cure for Parkinson's disease, but there is compelling evidence to show that it does make a real difference in many who try it.
Pedaling for Parkinson's Mission
The mission of Pedaling for Parkinson's is:
- To improve the quality of life of Parkinson's disease patients and their caregivers
- To educate patients, caregivers, and the general public about the benefits of maintaining an active lifestyle after a Parkinson's diagnosis.
- To support research dedicated to the prevention and treatment of Parkinson's disease.
- Be over age 30
- Be diagnosed with Idiopathic Parkinson's Disease
- Complete and submit consent and medical clearance form
- Heart rate monitor is required to participate
- Agree to periodically monitor progress
- NOT have cardiac or pulmonary disease, uncontrolled mellitus, uncontrolled hypertension or stroke, dementia, other medical conditions for which exercise poses a risk.
YMCA in Burnsville
13850 Portland Ave. S.
Burnsville, MN 55337
Mondays and Wednesdays 10:30 - 11:30 a.m.
YMCA in Eagan
550 Opperman Drive
Eagan, MN 55123
Mondays and Wednesdays 9:30 - 10:30 a.m.
Emma B. Howe Northtown Family YMCA
8950 Springbrook Drive
Coon Rapids, MN 55433
Mondays and Thursdays 10:00 - 11:00 a.m.
Sundays 12:00 - 1:00 p.m.
YMCA in New Hope
7601 42nd Ave.
New Hope, MN 55427
Wednesday and Friday 1:30 - 2:30 p.m.
River Valley YMCA in Prior Lake
3575 N. Berens Rd NW
Prior Lake, MN 55379
Monday and Thursday 1:15 - 2:15 p.m.
Rochester Family YMCA
709 1st Ave. SW
Rochester, MN 55902
3760 N. Lexington Avenue
Shoreview, MN 55126
Southdale YMCA in Edina
7355 York Ave. S.
Edina, MN 55435
Tuesdays and Thursdays 11:45 a.m. - 12:45 p.m.
To register, contact Jennifer Menk at Jennifer.email@example.com
This program is a partnership with the American Parkinson Disease Association.