The YMCA’s New American Welcome Centers (NAWC) support immigrants—also referred to as newcomers—through integration services, community partnerships and strategies to build cross-cultural understanding. Currently, our Y has NAWCs at the St. Paul Eastside, Blaisdell, Burnsville, River Valley, Emma B. Howe, Ridgedale, and University YMCAs. Below are some of the programs offered throughout the Twin Cities.
- Eastside YMCA: offers Guadalupe Alternative School partnership to provide vital employment training; shadowing opportunities for jobseekers to gain work experience and skills; private, women’s only group exercise classes; ForeverWell classes taught in Hmong.
- Ridgedale YMCA’s Day Camp Christmas Tree: hosts Spanish Immersion Camp with all instruction and programming conducted in Spanish, including hiking, canoeing, swimming, cooking and exploring.
- Blaisdell YMCA: partners with the Lyndale Neighborhood Association to provide the Women’s Leadership Program for Latina and Somali/African women to develop community leadership skills.
- Burnsville YMCA: engages and supports the emerging Somali community through a Somali Cultural Liaison on the team
- Eastside, Burnsville, and Ridgedale YMCAs: developed an Immigrant Youth Program this summer to engage newcomers in our community