Tap into the joy and connection that comes from spending time in nature
Young people can develop a respect for self, community and the environment with outdoor-based, hands-on experiences from the YMCA in a fun atmosphere.
Engaging options to help students grow and thrive
The Outdoor Learning Program is a natural complement to classroom curriculum, that combines experiential learning, outdoor recreation, community-based experiences to help students foster:
- Awareness and appreciation of the natural environment
- Understanding of ecological concepts
- Knowledge of cultural and natural history of the region
- Problem-solving and decision-making skills
Experiences rooted in state education standards
The Outdoor Learning Program directly supports the Minnesota Graduation Standards and the Wisconsin Academic Standards. Class and study sessions in the Outdoor Learning Program are always evolving to meet the needs of inquisitive students and passionate educators.
Unique adventures only available through the Y
With the Y's Outdoor Learning Program, enjoy small group sizes, flexible program lengths ranging from one to five days, plus a tailored program to best fit your group's goals. Options include:
- Large-group, team building activities
- Classes that study elements of the natural world - like animals, the forest, water bodies and more
- Courses that teach outdoor skills and survival
- Opportunities to develop leadership potential
- Challenge course, climbing towers or ropes course
- Evening program that examine the night sky and nocturnal animals
- Camp games
Contact us to discuss desired outcomes - whether you're seeking something STEM focused or options that don't involve an overnight stay - let's get creative to develop a memorable experience for your students.
Options close to home and on the edge of wilderness
The Outdoor Learning Program is available at:
- Camp St. Croix in Hudson, WI (30 minutes east of the Twin Cities)
- Camp Ihduhapi in Loretto, MN (30 minutes west of the Twin Cities)
- Camp Widjiwagan in Ely, MN (5 hours north of the Twin Cities)
Everyone should have the change to experience the great outdoors. Financial assistance is available for qualified individuals and groups.
To learn more, contact us via the form below. All fields are required.