Widji's mission is to develop young people respect for self, others, equipment, and the environment. We expect that all members of the Widji community will behave maturely, responsibly, inclusively, and respect the rights and dignity of others. All actions at Widji will reflect the YMCA Four Core Values: Caring, Honesty, Respect, and Responsibility.
Examples of behavior that you agree not to engage in as a Widji Camper
- Using abusive or vulgar language, name-calling or shouting at others in anger;
- Physical contact with another person in an angry or threatening way;
- Any demonstration of sexual activity or sexual contact that impacts others;
- Exclusive relationships;
- Harassment or intimidation by words, gestures, body language or any other menacing behavior;
- Theft or behavior which results in destruction of property or the natural environment;
- Carrying, concealing or using devices or objects as weapons (We make an exception for standard camping knives that have blades less than three inches long and fillet knives. These need to be used in a respectful and appropriate manner or they will be confiscated);
- Using or possessing illegal chemicals, tobacco or alcohol on YMCA property and throughout the experience;
- And engaging in intentionally risky behavior that endangers the wellbeing of self or others.
At YMCA Camp Widjiwagan, bullying is inexcusable, and we have a firm policy against all types of bullying. Each camper is expected to treat all other campers with respect, and to help each other achieve the best possible experience. Failure to meet Widji's standards of respectful behavior may result in communication with Parents/Guardians for assistance and potentially the dismissal of the camper. Our leadership addresses all incidents of bullying seriously. We train all camp staff to identify bullying and to promote honest communication between themselves and campers. Our goal is to work together as a team to ensure that campers gain self-confidence, make new friends and go home with fond memories of their camp experience.
YMCA Camp Widjiwagan reserves the right to dismiss any camper who does not follow respectful behavior expectations as outlined above. In the event that a camper is dismissed, there will be no refund of session fees and the parent or guardian of the camper will be held responsible for the camper's early transportation home from camp. Our staff works hard as possible to help campers with homesickness or other behavioral issues. We do not issue refunds for campers that leave early due to those reasons.