Getting to Camp
You are welcome to bring your child directly to Camp Widji or register for the camp bus program.
A coach-style chartered bus and/or van(s) leaves the White Bear Area YMCA on the opening day of each camp session and returns campers to the same location on closing day. The bus stops in Cloquet and Eveleth for the convenience of campers living in these areas.
The bus will stop at Subway on the way up to camp. Bring money, or pack a bag lunch. Campers riding the bus home should also bring money for lunch.
Please make reservations to ride the bus or van. If you did not reserve a bus or van seat on the registration card and you plan to use our transportation, please call the camp office immediately and let us know. There are no refunds on bus fees.
- White Bear Lake — $70 one-way | $140 round-trip
- Cloquet — $45 one-way | $90 round-trip
Bus Drop-off and Pick-up
At the drop-off location, campers are greeted by Widji staff. Each camper is checked in by a staff member as they board the vehicle. This same process occurs at any stop that is made on the way up to camp.
On closing day, a Widjiwagan staff member will remain at the pick-up location until all campers have been collected. It is imperative that you pick up your camper on time, as the Widjiwagan staff needs to proceed to the airport to drop off out-of-state campers. Safety procedures for both bus and van travel are reviewed by the driver, staff and campers prior to departure.
Departure times to Widji:
- White Bear Area YMCA: Load 7:45 a.m., Depart 8 a.m.
- Arby’s Restaurant, Cloquet: 10:15 a.m.
- Arrive at Camp: 1:30 p.m.
Arrival times from Widji:
- Leave Camp: 9 a.m.
- Arby’s Restaurant, Cloquet: 11:15 a.m.
- White Bear Area YMCA: 2-3 p.m.
Driving Your Child to Camp
- Opening day: drop-off is between 12 and 1 p.m.
- Closing day: pick-up is 8:30–9 a.m.
- Dogs are not allowed at camp.
- Campers may not drive themselves and park at camp.
- From St. Paul to Camp Widjiwagan: approximately 260 miles, 5 hours driving time.
To Ely from Twin Cities
Take I-35 north to Cloquet exit. Take Highway 33 north through Cloquet to Highway 53. Take Highway 53 north past Virginia to Highway 169. Go east on Highway 169 to Ely.
To Widjiwagan from Ely
Travel east out of Ely 1.5 miles. Just past the entrance to the International Wolf Center, turn left onto 88. Go 2.3 miles to 116, which is the Echo Trail. Turn right on the Echo Trail and go 9.1 miles to the North Arm Road (less than 1 mile past Fenske Lake Campground). Turn left onto 644, which is the North Arm Road. Follow North Arm Road for 1.5 miles to the camp entrance, which will be on your left. Turn left into camp and proceed to the office in the Sigurd Olson Center.
Out-of-State Transportation and Housing
Many campers come to Widji from outside of the Minneapolis/Saint Paul metropolitan area. Most are able to arrange their own housing in the Twin Cities and transportation to the Widji bus. When this is not possible, Widji will provide transportation and housing for an additional fee.
To request this service, please complete the and send to the Widji office by May 1.
- Transportation to and from airport, before and after session, one night housing and meals: $185
- Transportation to airport, after session only: $115
Campers arriving from out of state who plan to be transported by Widji staff should arrive between 2–7 p.m. the day before their session begins.
Please make return trip reservations for no earlier than 5:30 p.m. on the last day of the camp session.
If there is a last-minute change in travel plans, please call the Widji Administrative Office 612-822-2267, Monday – Friday. If you do not reach anyone at the Administrative Office, then contact camp directly at 218-365-2117 or the bus coordinator at 651-245-2332.
Contact Us - to make changes to your transportation.
- Transportation change requests received one month or earlier prior to the session start date will be made with no additional change fee.
- Transportation change requests received up to one week prior to the session start date will be made and assessed a $10 change fee.
- Requests must be made at least one week prior to the session start date.