The YMCA hosts several one-day special events throughout the year where volunteers are always needed. These events include fundraisers or community service awareness efforts to support the Y’s initiatives. Special events are a great opportunity for large groups to volunteer together, but work on different tasks that are of interest to them.
Special events include but are not limited to:
- Healthy Kids Week: For those with a passion for healthy living, this volunteer opportunity allows individuals to connect with the community and build relationships with a wide variety of people from all walks of life. As a volunteer during Healthy Kids Week, you are helping to instill positive healthy behaviors in young people with the hopes those behaviors will carry over into adulthood.
- YRUN: Whether you are chasing a personal best in the 10k, aiming to complete your first 5k or spending a morning enjoying a one mile run or walk with your family, the Y Run is an opportunity to celebrate your commitment to healthy living. As a volunteer, you will assist with registration, direct participants and be part of celebrating a great physical accomplishment for many.
- Bunk Bed Builds: Across the Twin Cities, too many boys and girls go without a bed to sleep on and this can affect their happiness and overall health. With YMCA partner Sleep in Heavenly Peace, you will assist with building, assembling and delivering top-notch bunk beds to children and families in need.
- Get Summer: The YMCA Get Summer program provides free summer memberships to teens ages 14-18. As a Get Summer volunteer, you will build relationships with youth and community while assisting in making programs such as health and wellness classes, career workshops and leadership development run successfully.
- Veterans Pancake Breakfasts: As a volunteer, you will help serve veterans and military services members in their community by cooking pancakes, preparing events and interacting with the members who attend.
- Camp Clean-Up Weekends: Roll up your selves, bring the family and help get camp ready for summer and winter. Each year, every YMCA camp is in need of volunteers to help with projects that will prepare the camps for summer and winter sessions.
- Lakefront Music Fest: It takes more than 500 people to produce a safe and fun Lakefront Music Fest! As a volunteer for the Lakefront Music Fest, you will be key to the success of this event by assisting with check-in, ticketing and guiding guests.
- Prairie Burn Music Festival: This festival would not be successful without the hard work of our volunteers. As a volunteer, you will assist with registration, overnight camping for guests and more as well as receive complimentary admission to the festival and an exclusive volunteer t-shirt.
- Welcoming Week: The face of our community is constantly changing and Welcoming Week is an annual initiative dedicated to helping all newcomers in our communities feel welcomed. As a volunteer, you will support YMCA staff in hosting a successful event for newcomers by helping to build relationships and assist in making programs and events run smoothly.
- Holiday Events: Join various YMCA locations across the Greater Twin Cities celebrate the holidays with members. Different locations have activities ranging from Christmas tree sales to potluck dinners where volunteers can help support.
See here for a full list of event volunteer opportunities. (Choose "Volunteer" from the list of categories to see current options)