YMCA membership includes agreeing to policies designed to help everyone feel good about being a part of the Y. Each year, we ask all members to review and follow the:
Membership & Program Code of Conduct
YMCA Member, Participant, and Guest Code of Conduct
Our YMCA Code of Conduct embodies the spirit of the Y and is intended to help everyone including members, participants, and guests feel welcome and safe at the YMCA.
By using YMCA facilities and programs as a member, participant or guest, you agree to follow our Code of Conduct, which is rooted in our core values of caring, honesty, equity, responsibility, and respect. As such, the following personal conduct is prohibited in all YMCA facilities, programs, and online communities:
- Inappropriate attire. Activity-appropriate attire which covers all private parts must be worn at all times. For the safety of all participants, appropriate footwear should be worn for all activities. No clothing with vulgar language, obscene gestures, racial slurs, or anything that may contribute to a hostile environment or would be considered inappropriate in a family facility.
- Inappropriate language. Hostile, vulgar or explicit language including swearing, name-calling or shouting, or language that may contribute to a hostile environment or would be considered inappropriate in a family facility.
- Unwelcome or threatening physical contact. Physical contact with another person in any unwelcome, hostile or threatening way including but not limited to “play fighting”.
- Sexualized behavior or sexual activity. Any conduct of a sexual nature, by words, gestures or behavior, or sexual contact or activity with another person, whether welcome or unwelcome.
- Discrimination, harassment, or intimidation. Discrimination on the basis of any dimension of diversity, harassment or intimidation by words, gestures, body language or any menacing behavior that demeans another person or culture.
- Disruptive behavior or inappropriate conduct. Any other conduct of an disruptive, threatening, inappropriate, or offensive nature. This includes any inappropriate or violent language or threats directed at team members, members or other participants.
Any violent or inappropriate language or actions directed at team members will not be tolerated at any time and may result in suspension and/or termination of membership.
- Theft or destruction of property. Theft or behavior that results in the destruction of property. The YMCA is not responsible for lost or stolen property. We ask that you lock up all valuables at all times or keep them on your person while working out.
- Loitering. Loitering is not permitted inside or outside YMCA facilities or programs.
- Inappropriate use of technology. Mobile devices or photographic/video equipment use of any kind – organizing playlists, music, texting, camera functions, video recording – is not permitted in the restrooms or locker rooms at any time. Taking video/recording other members, participants, or families is not permitted anywhere in YMCA spaces. Phone calls are not allowed in fitness areas.
- Alcohol, marijuana/THC/cannabis, and illegal drugs. Using or possessing alcohol, marijuana/THC/cannabis products or illegal drugs on YMCA property, in YMCA vehicles, or at YMCA sponsored programs. If you are suspected to be under the influence of alcohol, marijuana/THC/cannabis, or any illegal drugs, you may be asked to leave the premises. YMCA facilities, grounds, programs and vehicles are a drug and alcohol-free environment.
- Tobacco. The use of tobacco or tobacco-like products, including e-cigarettes, are not permitted in or outside YMCA facilities or programs, or on YMCA property or program sites. YMCA facilities, ground, programs, and vehicles are a tobacco-free environment.
- Weapons. Carrying or concealing any weapons or devices or objects that may be used as weapons (including items that appear to be real). The YMCA bans all weapons including firearms on premises with or without a permit.
If a member, participant or guest feels unsafe in confronting someone directly about offensive behavior or other issues that may be in violation of the Code of Conduct, they should report the behavior to a YMCA team member.
Suspension or termination of YMCA membership may result from a violation of this Code of Conduct. While an incident is being investigated, the membership of the person(s) accused of violating this Code of Conduct may be temporarily suspended pending a final decision.
To create and maintain a space that embodies our core values, the Y is serious about being clear regarding activities that are not allowed. If you, your family member, or your invited guests violate this Code of Conduct, consequences can include termination of membership or program privileges. The YMCA reserves the right to make situational decisions based on its mission and core values.
Cancellations and Changes
YMCA of the North is committed to offering programs and services that strengthen youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility. Please review our refund policies, which support our programs and service delivery.