For the safety of our members and guests, swimmers under the age of 15 must be within arm’s reach of an adult at all times, or pass a YMCA swim test. Swimmers aged 5-14 may use a U.S. Coast Guard Approved Personal Flotation Device in place of passing a swim test or having an adult within arm’s reach.
To swim in water deeper than the swimmer’s armpits, the swimmer must pass the Deep Water Swim Test.
- Jump into water
- Tread water for 30 seconds
- Transition from treading to a front float for 10 seconds
- Return to treading for an additional 10 seconds
- Swim 10 yards
To swim without an adult in water shallower than the swimmer’s armpits or in the designated shallow end, the swimmer must pass the Shallow Water Swim Test.
- Enter water to armpit depth
- Front float for 5 seconds
- Transition from floating to standing in water
- Back float for 5 seconds and return to standing