For the safety of our members and guests, swimmers under the age of 15 must be within arm’s reach of an adult at all times, or pass a YMCA swim test. Swimmers aged 5-14 may use a U.S. Coast Guard Approved Personal Flotation Device in place of passing a swim test or having an adult within arm’s reach.
To swim in water deeper than the swimmer’s armpits, the swimmer must pass the Deep Water Swim Test.
- Jump into water
- Tread water for 30 seconds
- Transition from treading to a front float for 10 seconds
- Return to treading for an additional 10 seconds
To swim without an adult in water shallower than the swimmer’s armpits or in the designated shallow end, the swimmer must pass the Shallow Water Swim Test.
- Enter water to armpit depth
- Front float for 5 seconds
- Transition from floating to standing in water
- Back float for 5 seconds and return to standing